James L. Volling
Jim Volling is one of the most respected commercial litigators in the Midwest. He is a member of the firm's management board and the former head of the firm's business litigation group.
Jim served as a judicial clerk under the Honorable Warren E. Burger, Chief Justice of the United States Supreme Court, and the Honorable Roger Robb, United States Court of Appeals in the District of Columbia Circuit. For more than two decades, he has represented business clients in a wide variety of complex commercial disputes, as well as representing individuals and institutions in white collar criminal matters and investigations.
Jim has appeared in state and federal trial courts in every region of the country, and he has argued appeals in several federal and state appellate courts. Jim has handled disputes valued up to several billion dollars.
Jim's broad-based experience includes extensive work in antitrust, securities and shareholder litigation; FCPA investigations and voluntary disclosures to the SEC and DoJ; consumer class actions; False Claims Act; RICO; breach of contract; breach of warranty; and lender liability. In the area of white collar criminal defense, he has handled federal and state cases alleging misapplication of bank funds, securities fraud, mail fraud, wire fraud, bank fraud, government program fraud and violations of laws involving antitrust, export, customs, commercial bribery, environmental issues and the Hobbs Act. He has also handled internal investigations of suspected criminal conduct for corporations and other institutions.
- The Law Firm Pro Bono Project — Advisory Committee
- Human Rights
- Death Penalty
- Faegre Baker Daniels — Pro Bono Honor Roll, 2014
- The Best Lawyers in America — Commercial Litigation, 2009-15; Bet-the-Company Litigation, 2013-15; Antitrust Litigation and Securities Litigation, 2013, 2015
- Chambers USA: America's Leading Lawyers for Business — Litigation: General Commercial, 2008-14
- Minnesota Super Lawyers — Business Litigation, 2003-14
- Minnesota Law & Politics — Top 40 Business Litigators
- Faegre Baker Daniels — John C. Benson award for pro bono
- Minnesota Justice Foundation — Private Practice Award for Outstanding Community Service
- Minnesota Advocates for Human Rights — Volunteer Award
- Benchmark Litigation — Local Litigation Star, 2013-14
- U.S. Magistrate Judge — Candidate Recommendation Panel (Chair)
- Minnesota Advocates for Human Rights — Board of Directors (Chair)
- Charis of Minnesota, Inc. — Board of Directors (Chair)
- Excelsior Covenant Church — Chair and General Counsel
- Minnehaha Academy — Board of Education (Chair)
- U.S. Supreme Court, Hon. Warren E. Burger, 1980-81
- U.S. Court of Appeals, District of Columbia Circuit, Hon. Roger Robb, 1979-80